Wheaton’s Law: Don’t Be A Dick.
July 29 is Wil Wheaton’s Birthday & “Don’t Be A Dick Day”
We follow the chipped, cracked, & broken model.*
First offense, a moderator or administrator will discuss with you why your behavior is unacceptable and share if you have received complaints. You will be in “time out” for 3 days.
Second offense, you will be told specifically, with examples and transcripts of complaints (names redacted) why your behavior is not acceptable on this site, and that your continued behavior compounds the problem. You will be put in “time out” for 5 days and asked to consider if this site is the right place for you.
Third offense, and you’re gone, no exception. If you sign up again, you will be removed. If after 6 months you contact the Admin to request access and appear to have adjusted your approach, you may be allowed back on the site on a probationary status. You violate probation, and you are gone for good via a block on your IP address.
*The Administrator reserves the right to remove a disruptive member without following the CCB if the offense is deemed serious and motivated by the troll life. No explanation is required.
- Be Respectful: If you wouldn’t say something in person, in front of your mom, or would be upset to be spoken to in the same way, don’t try it here. Your comment will be removed. After the third offense, you will no longer have access to the site.
- Personal abuse, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, discriminatory, or defamatory remarks are not tolerated. After the third offense, you will no longer have access to the site.
- THIS is NOT a pick-up site. Save it for Tinder. If there is a complaint against a user for this they enter the CCB process. After the third offense, you will no longer have access to the site.
- No plagiarism. You may post your own work from other sites, as long as you retain ownership (Quora is an example of a site that allows you to repost YOUR answers or comment); you cannot post the questions your answer responded to on Quora). If you are caught posting someone else’s work as your own, you are done. There is no CCB for this: After the first offense, you will no longer have access to the site via a block on your IP address.
- No NSFW images, memes, gifs, links, posts. There is no CCB for this: After the first offense, you will no longer have access to the site via a block on your IP address.
- No revealing personal information of other folks on the site. There is no CCB for this: After the first offense, you will no longer have access to the site via a block on your IP address.
- Remember to place posts and discussions in their appropriate places (e.g., comments, Questions, Reviews). This helps your comment or contribution to be seen.
- Blog posts. This is not an open blog forum. If you want to contribute as a guest blogger or become a regular contributor, contact the Admin (via the contact page). There will be many places where you can post your thoughts, comments, opinions, theories, etc., but if you are using one or two of those options to regularly post detailed reviews and blog posts, you may be “punished” by being asked to contribute as an actual Team Digression Girl blogger.
- Plagiarism is not tolerated. Not in blogs, questions & answers, chat, comments on any page. Quotes must be attributed, copyrighted materials should be so noted unless the fair use policy makes that unnecessary. If you are re-posting your own work, be sure you have that right. For example, on Quora the questions become their IP and ©, but the answers and comments remain the property of the person who posted it. In that case, you do not have to attribute your material as long as you revise it so the question is not presented and it reads like an essay/blog post, not an answer without a question; however, any place you post that does not share that policy, or you cannot determine the policy, please include where you previously published your work–this includes adapted content, such as an answer re-edited as an essay. When posting art, please include © year published, publishing company. You may add title, writer, and/or artist as an attribution, or the copyright information, and often this is not required.
- There’s not much more to the rules, though as issues arise they may update, so it’s always good to check, just be respectful and don’t be rude. This is a safe place to talk, civilly argue, and share ideas. Act accordingly.
- 95% of you, you’ll never have to worry about the rules. The other 5%, we will with work to get you on the right track, but this isn’t a corporate, monetized site. It gains nothing by keeping around a few bad eggs ruining the experience of everyone else.
- Final and most important rule? Have fun, grow, meet really cool people, learn other points of view. You’ve found your people. Welcome home.
Remember that Digression Girl has asked Agent [REDACTED] to keep an eye on things. And he is pretty awesome.
Even in his civvies.